Rise of Heroes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead, Marvel, DC, TMNT RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The End Is The Beginning Is The End

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

The End Is The Beginning Is The End Empty
PostSubject: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 12:11 am

[Takes place roughly a year after the events of the first cinematic Suicide Squad.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You complete this mission, Colonel Flag, I guarantee Dr. Moone will be given the antivirus that will save her life."

Rick knew that Amanda had his back against the wall yet again. The woman had a talent for that. He hated the amount of control that she seemed to have over him, even as the world was dying. 

There was a brief moment of quiet hesitation, but he already knew that when it came to June, he was heart over mind. The world was a month into the outbreak, and he had seen first hand what happened to those who were bitten by the infected.... they would become a walking corpse with only one objective. To feed.

He had already lost June once, he could not bear the thought of losing her forever, or their unborn son.

He swallowed thickly, forcing down the reluctance and disgust over working for this woman again. "What is the objective?"

The corners of Amanda's lips curled ever so slightly, but would go unnoticed  to everyone in the room. Even during the end of times, her facility was heavily armed and those devoted to her cause buzzed around her as if it was just another day at the office. To them, it was. Their desperate attempts to grasp at any form of normalcy. Her compound had been the first to grasp the use of solar energy, keeping up the illusion that life would return to normal.

"You will take your soldiers to Belle Reve and extract any remaining members of Task Force X. From there, you will lead them to the CDC in Atlanta. I am warning you, this mission will not be easy. You have led them against powerful forces in the past, but the streets are full of the infected. I have it under good authority that the CDC have produced an antidote that will cure even the most advanced stages of the virus, unlike what we have that can only cure those before they turn." She let that sink in for a moment. "We're talking about a cure that could see this world as it once was. We need that formula. That is your job, Colonel.  The facility was overrun by the undead. The Scientists were all killed. We will get the antivirus into the hands of those that can replicate it."

The stakes were high, and so much was on the line. Flag knew the dangers of making that journey, but he had everything to lose. "If...any of Task Force X survived the shut down, why would they agree to do this?"

"The explosives are still embedded in their necks. If they do not agree, you leave them caged and I will handle them." There was venom in her tone.

"If they are still on your little Monopoly board, then you know who's still alive..."

"You would be correct, Colonel Flag. But where would the fun be in telling you?" And there was that hint of a grin that he so despised. He felt like a mouse trapped in her cat like cruelty. Toying, playing.

"You have a deal." Because, if June died, he would lose everything.  "But first, I want to see June."

"You are in no position to make demands, Flag." Waller responded in her usual cold tone, uncaring that this could be his last visit with the love of his life.

"The virus takes twenty four hours to turn a living person into one of the dead, Colonel Flag. She is running out of time." Waller warned, and there was that taunting curl of her lips once again....

[To be continued....]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 1:41 am

The military tanks would only get them so far. The dead crowded the streets, their mass becoming trapped in the treads and rendering them useless. A few soldiers lost their lives trying to free the treads of the mangled corpses. This mission was off to a terrible start, but retreating was not an option. All of the obstacles they faced cost them four hours. Four hours that June did not have.

Seeing the state of the prison, Flag had his doubts that any of the prisoners had survived, but surely Amanda would not have sent him here if there was no team to extract....or would she?

Flag had to shake those thoughts from his head. He could not afford a lack of concentration. Fumbling through his pockets, he unearthed the master key that would unlock the gate, and would work on the cells, too. Half of his soldiers were instructed to keep the outer perimeter secure while the other half joined him inside. The halls were dark and full of sewer water due to busted pipes that had gone unattended. The smell of bodily fluids and death hung thickly in the air. It was enough to cause a few of the soldiers to lose their composure, but they had a mission to complete...

It seemed that the last of the staff had evacuated weeks ago, leaving the prisoners to starve. Moans could be heard echoing from many of the cells. It was too late for most. What a sickening fate that they had suffered. The level of cruelty disgusted Flag.

"These prisoners should have been freed. I want all of these cells checked. If anyone is alive, let them out. Task Force X or not."

Some of the soldiers were reluctant. This place was full of killers, after all. Still, they would follow Flag's orders. Unfortunately, it was too late for most. Many of the now reanimated corpses were familiar faces.

Deadshot was one of the few found still breathing. Though he and Flag had not gotten along in the beginning, the two had found common ground. Needless to say, it was a relief to see him.

Flag freed Floyd from his cage, catching him when he stumbled forward, the glow of the flashlights being the first light he had seen in weeks. "Easy there, partner. Take a minute if you need..."

Deadshot shook his head as he righted himself. "No time, Colonel. There's a very angry zombified Killer Croc roamin' these hallways, and somethin' that looks like a mangey dog..."

"Werewolf! It's a werewolf...duh!" A familiar, female voice spoke up, somewhere in the distance.

"Harley?" A small smile stretched across Flag's face as he searched for the cell the voice was coming from. "The one and only!" She sounded like her usual bubbly self, but there was a tiredness to her tone. In a matter of seconds the door of her cell swung open. Mustering up what strength she had, Harley tackled her rescuer, planting a very chapped kiss against his face. "Hiya Flag! Gotta little stubble going on...I like it!"

Flag awkwardly returned the hug, taking in her appearance. Her jumpsuit was filthy and she smelled terrible. Her hair was a tangled mess. Like Deadshot, she had missed quite a few meals. It seemed these two were the only survivors, and they were hardly in any condition to go up against the infected at the CDC.

"Weasel." Floyd said, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, Flag thought the man was throwing insults. Maybe they had not buried the hatchet, after all.

"It's a zombie Weasel, Harley....says it on his very busted cell door. Remember when I told you that I thought it was a ferret? Pretty damn close!"  Because all they had up until now was time to discuss such nonsense. They would carry on conversations for days on end, trying to keep their sanity intact.

The entirety of the prison had been searched. Sadly, there would be no more survivors. "We should take this conversation outside." Flag told the two, not wanting to meet any zombified metahumans...or creatures...

[To be continued...]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 2:58 am

"I thought the Joker sprung you out, Harley.. " Flag commented, checking the IV that had been administered to both her and Deadshot to deliver much needed fluids. The tanks may not have been functional, but at least they would prove as temporary sanctuary until Flag decided on their next move.

Harley's features instantly dropped as she munched on the MRE that Flag had given her. It was obviously a sore subject. "Sorry I asked..."

Harley shook her head, scrunching up her nose. "These are terrible... you've had to live on these?" Maybe she was changing the subject, and that was okay with Flag. "You get used to 'em..."

"He did. He sprung me, but...we broke up. Then the world went to shit. I couldn't find him and I worried I would never see him again, so I went back and locked myself back up, thinkin' maybe...just maybe he would come for me..." Her eyes hinted at the tears that she forbid to fall.

Flag gave her knee a reassuring squeeze. "You deserve better, Harley." He was never good at comforting people, but Harley had become his friend, so he tried.

"So, what kind of suicide mission does Waller have us on this time, Colonel?" Floyd spoke up. He had made short work of his first MRE and was devouring his second.

"What makes you think I'm here for that?" Now, he felt incredibly guilty for not rescuing the prisoners sooner. He never would have thought they would have been left to starve.

"No offense, but you are like the grim reaper. We see you, and we know shit's goin' down. So, what is it?"

"It doesn't matter. I'm going to tell Waller to deactivate the explosives and let you two go. You're in no condition. I'll do this on my own. "

"And why do YOU get to have all the fun? I ain't got nothin' better to do, so I'm in!" Harley chimed in. "Ditto. So tell us what we're dyin' for.." Deadshot nudged again.

It was a relief to have their support, even if he was reluctant to recruit them in their condition. "We are being sent to the CDC to extract the formula for an antivirus that will cure the infected. The kicker is, the place is overrun with the undead."

"How's June? Is she staying away from the Ouija board these days?" It was a change of subject, but Harley was genuinely curious.

Flag was going to leave out the part about June, not wanting the others to know that Waller was grasping him by the heart once again. "June...was bitten a few hours ago. Waller has her in quarantine. She claims to have an antivirus for those who have not turned, but...she won't administer the vaccine until the mission is complete." And there was a sad pause. "We're expecting our first child.."

Both Harley and Floyd felt sympathy for the man they once despised, and a new level of hatred toward Waller. "We're gonna save your girl and that precious little squishy gumdrop that will call me Auntie Harley.." She stood up and ripped the IV from her arm. "Let's go bash some skulls!"

[To be continued...]

Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 1:33 pm

Harley and Deadshot were given a few moments to clean up and  change into the clean military uniforms that were provided. Harley chose to customize hers, cutting away the sleeves and half of the waistline, despite the chilly weather. Her pants were transformed into short shorts, her long hair now detaingled and tied into her signature pigtails.

Deadshot rolled his eyes. "Just had to be extra, didn't you?"

"Always!"

Their weapons had been retrieved by Flag's soldiers, even Harley's beloved baseball bat, which she hugged and kissed like a long lost lover, giving it a few good practice swings afterwards.

"A better love story than Twilight." Floyd teased. Harley returned the lightheartedness with a wink and a kiss blown his way.

With food in their bellies and fresh clothes, the small squad was ready for the next phase of their new found purpose in life.

The cumbersome tank had been abandoned, replaced with a more practical humvee. The all terrain tires proved better suited for maneuvering over once living bodies. Harley had called shotgun, much to Flag's dismay. He had to listen to her ramble on, mostly about the sights of the dying city. Which celebrity each undead resembled, and she was certain that she had spotted Justin Beiber among the hoards.

Perhaps this would have been more comical if Flag was not feeling the weight of the world pressing on his shoulders. He could not stop thinking about June, fearful that he would never see her again...afraid he would never hold his child. He tried to have faith in Waller for his own sanity, but he knew that her cruelty knew no end. This new world seemed to have made her even more so.

Harley seemed to pick up on the heaviness of his mood, reaching over and giving his cheek a light pinch. "Don't worry, Flaggy boy. You will be changing poopy diapers before you know it." She said with enthusiasm.

"Let's just focus on the mission." Flag responded, knowing he could not afford to dwell on the future that he felt was being stolen from him.

"Aye, Aye, Captain!" Harley gave a small salute. "Speakin' of Captain, where the heck is Boomer? He must have sprung the joint before I went back..."

"And if he did, he didn't give us a second thought." Floyd huffed.

"I'm sure he had his reasons.." Harley dismissed.

It took a couple of hours, but the humvee had finally reached the gates of the infamous CDC. As anticipated, the gate had been broken and the parameter was overran with the undead. Most seemed fixated on trying to enter the compound. Strange behavior, since the zombies were known to be drawn to living bodies, but Waller had informed him that the staff had been killed....

"Waller, can you access the security cameras inside the CDC? The undead are actively trying to enter the building. That means someone has to be alive in there.." Flag spoke into his earphone.

"There are no survivors, Flag. Proceed with caution with the infected." Waller was quick to respond. Short and sweet. Still, Flag wasn't so sure.

"You heard the lady, let's do this thing!" Harley piped up, hopping out of the Humvee and ready for action. It had been too long.

[To be continued..]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 9:26 pm

The team was in for the fight of their lives. With the help of the remaining soldiers, they managed to cut their way through the massive hoard. Several soldiers lost their lives, something Flag never took lightly, but he could not dwell on that failure at the moment. He had to keep what was left of the team alive and fighting...

None of them were expecting the doors to open without effort, or to be ushered inside. The doors quickly closed behind them, locking into place. Guns were quickly shoved into their faces and scanners moving along their bodies, checking for infection, and special abilities.

Flag was confused. Waller had been confident that all of the CDC staff had been killed...

"Good evening, Colonel Flag. We have been expecting you. Waller assured us that you would bring us test subjects, and while your numbers are not impressive and these are not high up on the metahuman scale, you did not disappoint..."

It was all beginning to make sense now. This had all been a set up, orchestrated by none other than Waller herself.

"You were expectin' us? Well, where is the red carpet? You guys don't seem too welcoming!" Harley huffed, hands held high, but she was not relinquishing her blood splattered bat.

Deadshot glared angrily at Flag. "You betrayed us, you son of a bitch!"

"No...Floyd..I would never! You know me better than that!"

"Do I?"

"Boys! Play nice!"

Two men reached to remove the bat from Harley's grasp, but that was a big mistake. She pulled away with ease, the weapon swirling and smashing into the skulls of several of the captors. Flag and Deadshot used this opportunity to execute their own attacks, Flag breaking the nose of the man that had tried to take his gun, sending bone fragments into the CDC worker's brain. Shots were fired, dropping anyone that dared to threaten their freedom.

In a matter of seconds, only a few of those that represented the wrongdoings here were left standing. They quickly retreated, but a bullet sent one of the men tumbling to the ground. Flag had him pinned in a matter of seconds. "The antivirus, where is it?!" He seethed, knee threatening to press down on the man's throat.

"Flag! Waller lied to you, didn't any of this make that fact clear?!" Floyd tried to be the voice of reason, but it was clear that his friend was still grasping to that small shred of hope that a cure had been created. He needed to believe that Waller did in fact have the less potent vaccine and would hold her end of the deal.

"There is no cure...we needed test subjects for experimentation. We believe the cure will be found in the blood of supers and metas..." The man would not get to finish. Flag's knee came down hard, breaking the man's beck.

Flag couldn't move. It was as if the world had stopped spinning. June and his unborn son would die, and he would be powerless to stop it.

Harley was off searching the place for any prisoners that may have fallen victim to the corruptness of this facility. She found several. One was a man with metal claws that could push through his knuckles. Another claimed to be the God of Thunder even though he seemed like a bimbo, and the last, the familiar Selena Kyle.

She freed them all, leaving them to go at their will. With her good deeds done, it was time to take care of one of her own. Flag. He was still kneeling beside the man he had just killed. She knew what must have been going through his head.

"I..wasted what time I had with her on this.."

Harley spared a glance at Floyd, who's earlier anger had resolved at this point. He was not without sympathy. "I know man, and that sucks. There's nothin' I can say, and nothin' you can do, but we can go back there and make sure that cunt pays for what she did. We can also use this to warn others so no one else ends up in this trap."

Harley gave a small nod in agreement. "And...maybe there's enough time for you to say goodbye..." Goshdarn it, why was she tearing up?! Seeing the suppressed tears in Flag's eyes certainly wasn't helping.

Finally, Flag responded with a small nod as he got to his feet. Floyd gave him a pat on the shoulder, conveying that he had his support. "Let's go make that bitch pay for every wrong she has ever done."

Harley responded with  an eager nod. "You think the God of Thunder is datin' anybody?"

"...Harley..."

[To be continued...]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 am

The trip back to Waller's base was excruciatingly long. The squad knew that Waller would be expecting them, and she would be ready. Flag struggled to not let his emotions cloud his judgment. Harley, Floyd and his surviving troops were depending on him. Harley and Deadshot had taken on an army of the dead, and the CDC in their very unwell conditions. The last thing he wanted was to send them up against Waller and her minions.

The humvee sat idle outside of the compound. Flag had to fight back the urge to bust through those doors. If June was still alive, he did not want her to witness him killed by Amanda's guards. Oh yes, he could certainly do some damage before being taken down, but that would defeat his main reason for coming back.

Gathering his composure, he radioed his boss... his former boss. "You probably were bankin' on not hearing my voice again.." His tone was shakey, laden with both anger and sorrow. "You sold us out...but it shouldn't surprise me at this point..."

"You were never part of the deal with the CDC, Flag. I want you to know that. The CDC needed test subjects and the prisoners would have died in those cells. At least their deaths could have been for a greater good..." Waller's voice came through, loud enough for both Harley and Deadshot to hear.

"It you're trying to make me feel better, you fail. You lied about everything...you lied about a cure too, didn't you?"

"I knew it was the only way to get you to agree to this."

Tears welled in Flag's eyes. "Is she....is she still alive?"

"You could call it that, sure." Waller replied with intended vagueness.

"I won't try anything, just please let me see her one last time. After everything I've done for you, you owe me this much, Waller..."

"As you wish, Colonel Flag. I'm warning you, you step out of line and I will drop you in front of her, do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Harley and Deadshot are to stay outside."

Flag spared his friends a glance. Harley spared a look at Floyd, not liking the idea of Flag going in there alone, but she nodded, pulling him in for a quick hug. "We're here for ya."

Upon entering the building, Flag was stopped and stripped of all of his weapons. Waller knew that he was capable of killing without his knives and firearms, but she had numbers on her side. He was led to the elevator and taken to the underground floor. Waller greeted him as soon as the doors slid open.

She was intentionally standing in his way of the large cell that had been constructed of thick, shatter proof glass.

All Flag could think about was getting to his wife...

"Believe me when I tell you, I do like you, colonel Flag...but I always make the moves that will see this country through tough times..."

The words were not registering. Flag's only motive was reaching the love of his life. He could see her laying on the bed, adorned in a long pastel blue gown, her back turned to him. The short walk felt like an eternity, but finally, he reached the glass.
He instantly reached for the door and gave it a tug, but it was locked. "Let me go in with her..." He pleaded, watching with teary eyes as June struggled to her feet. Her long hair covered her face as she stumbled toward the glass.

"As you wish.."

Flag was caught off guard by his grief. The door was quickly unlocked and the guards shoved him inside, locking the door behind him. He stumbled to the floor, but managed to shift just in time to catch June as she fell on him...

Her skin was pale and cold to the touch. "June, baby...you're freezing..." He pushed her long hair away from her face, his gaze locking with hers. Eyes once so full of life, now milky and empty...

"June?"

Her icy fingers dug into his chest, earning a pained cry. Her teeth snapped at his face as the tears he had fought so hard to contain finally rolled down his cheeks. "Please God, no..."

June was gone. He was quickly losing the will to fight her off, but if he allowed himself to become infected or ripped to pieces, Waller would have the last laugh. Mustering up his will to stay among the living, he overpowered her, pinning her against the floor and straddled her. He had no weapons, so would have to dispatch her with his hands...

"I love you, baby. I'm...I'm so sorry..." he pressed a final kiss against her forehead before placing his thumbs over her eyes and pushing with all of his strength. His thumbs pierced her eyes and he shoved upward, into her brain.

The world seemed to have stopped in that instant. The hard reality of what he had just been forced to do sinking in.

A small cry coming from somewhere closeby managed to pull Flag from his daze. He shifted to investigate the sound, his heart skipping a beat when he spotted a small crib hidden on the other side of the bed. He slowly approached.It was obvious  by the cries that something was not right. Still, he reached down and carefully picked up the swaddled bundle and tucked him in his arms. His son. Wrapped carefully in a blue blanket.

Flag sat on the edge of the bed, gently rocking the tiny bundle in his arms. He finally pushed the blanket away from the baby's face, exposing the same lifeless milky eyes, skin pale and  veins pronounced. Tiny fingers grasped at his father with purpose, but the trauma of losing his family had rendered him numb to the dangers....

[To be continued....]

Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 7:53 pm

"I spy with my little eye, something that begins with the letter S!"

Deadshot rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time. "Snowflake. Just like the one hundred times before, and the hundred that I'm sure is about to follow..."

"But, they are DIFFERENT snowflakes, therefore, NOT the same thing! You know, they say no two snowflakes are the same...kinda like fingerprints. " Harley stuck out her tongue and flopped back in her seat, tearing into another MRE. The dried food was slowly starting to grow on her. "Flag's been in there a really long time, do you think everything's okay?"

"You know how goodbyes are, Harley. They are never easy." But he couldn't deny the fact that he too felt something was up. He was dealing with Waller, after all.

"Well, I never really got a chance to say goodbye to anyone before. I mean, Mistah J threw me out..."

"Mistah J is a douchebag. These are different circumstances, Dollface."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Harley shrugged. "But I mean, maybe we should sneak inside, you know? Just in case something is up and Waller is pulling off Flag's fingernails with pliers. Or his toenails. Or shoving toothpicks underneath his fingernails while molestin' him..."

"Do NOT put that image in my head. Yeah, maybe we should. I vote sneakin' in through the ventilation duct."

"I was gonna say through the sewers, but okay!"

Floyd quirked a brow at that, but decided to let it go. He was sure that Harley had a long drawn out explanation for her choice, so it was best not to question.

Deadshot disabled the security cameras with one silent shot, then the two headed toward the building, careful not to draw any unwanted attention to themselves. They quickly found their entry point and climbed into the ventilation shaft.

It took a lot of wrong bends and turns, but they finally found the underground level where Waller held captives for interrogation. Enough light filtered in through the air grate to allow them to see. Harley frowned, seeing that Flag was in the cell, and her expression dropped even more seeing June's lifeless body on the floor of the cell. Flag appeared to be holding something, rocking it. A baby?? It appeared that June had given birth before her untimely demise. Maybe, just maybe it would be what Flag needed to keep him going. But then the demonic cry could be heard and it was made clear that none of this would have a happy ending...

"Oh no, the baby is a zombie..." She whispered to Floyd.

Deadshot dropped his head. This was hard. Death was part of their reality, but a baby. All he could think about was his daughter. What if he had to go through that with her?

It was clear that Flag was in a state of denial or shock. If someone didn't interject, there was a possibility that the baby could infect its father.

The glass cell had holes drilled in several rows for ventilation. Deadshot was confident that he could make the shot, even if it meant they would have to fight their way out of here...

"I'm about to blow our cover, Harls..." With no further warning, he took the shot. The bullet effortlessly made it through the ventilation hole and into the baby's skull, permanently silencing it's tormented cries.

It took Flag a moment to make sense of what had happened, and his anguished gaze fixated on Waller. He carefully placed his dead son on the bed, then charged at the cell door, slamming himself against it.

The whole facility was on high alert at this point. Another shot was fired, this time Deadshot disabled the control panel of the prison cell, deactivating the lock. Flag  charged at Walker, but he would not reach her. Her men opened fire, bullets tearing through his body. Deadshot had also opened fire as he kicked open the vent and dropped to the ground, followed closely by Harley, who began cutting through the guards with her trusty bat.

It was enough of a distraction to allow Flag to drag himself away, his blood leaving a trail on the floor. He was losing blood fast, but was able to pull a pistol off of one of the deceased, arming himself, and not a moment too soon. In a matter of seconds, Waller was towering over him, her pistol aimed at his head. Flag's shaky hand struggled to raise the pistol, but the bloodloss was taking its toll.

Before Waller could pull the trigger, Harley's bat smashed into the back of her skull. "Goodnight! " she shouted, recoiling for another swing, but a bullet pierced through Waller's skull, dropping her to the ground. Flag had finally taken his shot, putting an end to Amanda Waller.

"Nice shot, suga'!" Harley chimed, happy that the world would no longer know Waller and the cruelty that she had injected into it. It would be a happy day, if not for the death of Flag's family, and the fact that he was bleeding everywhere. Harley knealt beside him, trying to survey the damage. It was not good. His body had been riddled with bullets.

"You gotta get your shit together, Flag. No more bleedin', okay?"

"I'll take it under consideration..." He managed through labored breaths.

Deadshot had taken out the last of Waller's followers. After he was certain that the coast was clear, he approached his friends. Harley removed Flag's vest and shirt to better assess the damage, applying pressure to the gushers.

"Hey Floyd, got a doctor in your back pocket?" Harley asked, trying to keep the worry out of her tone. Flag had gone through enough today, he didn't need to be reminded that he was dying, even though he seemed to be at peace with that fact.

"You two hang tight, I'm gonna go get some help..."

Harley responded with a nod and sat beside Flag, still doing her best to apply pressure to the more severe wounds. "I can sing for you! What's your favorite song?"

This day just kept on getting better....

[To be continued...]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyThu Nov 04, 2021 11:26 am

Two weeks had passed since Flag had put an end to Amanda Waller. The Colonel had come close to losing his own life, but Floyd had returned with a doctor just in time. The surgery had taken hours, but the bullets had been extracted and the damage to vital organs including his lungs and liver had been repaired. His heart had also been damaged, but by some miracle the bullet did minimal damage and it was still beating.

After a brief discussion with Bruce Wayne, the doctor had his patient transferred to Wayne's mall for further treatment. Bruce had all of the best equipment and was Flag's best chance at recovery. Even though Bruce was not fond of Flag's company, the Bat agreed after Harley promised to be on her absolute best behavior. They wouldn't be sticking around, after all. Once Flag was on his feet, Harley had every intention of going out and looking for The Joker.

Floyd had accompanied Harley and Flag to the Mall long enough to make sure they were settled. Flag was in a medical induced coma to keep pain to a minimal and allow healing, but Deadshot couldn't stick around long enough for him to wake. There was too much bad blood between him and Bruce. Besides, he needed to find his daughter.  He left a walkie with Harley just in case she ever needed him, requesting an update on the Colonel whenever he woke, then said his goodbyes.

Now, it was just Harley and a comatose Flag inhabiting one of Bruce's luxurious VIP suites. The doctor was slowly weaning Flag off of the sedatives. The breathing tube had been removed a few days prior once his lungs became strong enough to function on their own. Harley was hopeful that soon she would have someone to carry on a conversation with. She had thought about venturing out into the mall and mingling, but she wanted to be here when Flag finally opened his eyes. Considering he had been out for two weeks, she knew he would be confused.

Besides, she had been feeling under the weather lately. Fatigued and nauseous. She chalked it up as the change in the weather, and maybe her body adjusting to having actual food again. Whatever the case, she was certain that it would pass soon.

She was sitting on the plush couch, staring out the window and watching the raindrops slide down the cold glass. This slower lifestyle was kind of a nice change of pace. The soft beeps of the heart rate monitor was lulling. She had not felt this safe or content in a very long time.

Flag's bloodshot eyes slowly fluttered open. His mind was in a haze, trying to comprehend where he was and what had happened. The morphine drip was dulling the pain, but it was there nonetheless. His last memories began to return to him, but he hoped that it all was just a bad dream.

"Well look who decided to rejoin the land of the living!" Harley smiled, sliding off of the couch and taking a seat in the chair beside his bed. She had spent a lot of time there. Whenever she was feeling lonely, she would just sit here with him. Sometimes she would tell him a story, even though she knew he couldn't hear her. Sometimes she would tell him her feelings or talk about the Joker. He had become her own personal shrink and he didn't even know it.

Flag's throat felt like it was on fire. Just swallowing was painful. He tried to speak, but a coughing fit cut that attempt short. Harley was quick to grab a mug of water and popped a straw into it, then placed it to his lips.

"Take it sloooow, you've been out for two weeks." She told him as he sipped, the cool water soothing his painful throat.

The events of that dreadful night were beginning to filter back, causing his chest to tighten with the familiar grief. Still, he couldn't be sure of what was real, and what had all been a series of nightmares. His gaze met Harley's, searching for confirmation.

"June?"

Harley was afraid of this. She did not want to have to be the one to confirm or remind him, but hell...she was all he had. Yeah. She had made the right choice staying behind.

There was a long pause, and her saddened expression conveyed everything. "I'm so sorry, Flag." Her tone was unusually quiet, conveying her sympathy. "But on a positive note, Waller is no more...woohoo! Oh! And Batzy removed the explosive trackers from my neck...and Floyd's too. I don't have to worry about fartin' too loud and it gettin' triggered and blowin' my head off..." She tried so desperately to smooth over the heavy with a more positive note.

Unfortunaly her efforts fell short. June was really gone. His son. His whole family taken from him. Tears burned at the backs of his eyes, but he would not allow them to fall. Not now. It took a moment through the grief to register that she had mentioned Batman. "Bruce?"

Harley nodded. "Yep. He owns this mall that has hotel rooms and stuff. He put us in the VIP suite so we wouldn't be bothered."

"Us?"

"Yeah, I mean just the two of us. Floyd left. He still can't get along with Bruce, and he wanted to find his daughter. And maybe even his baby mama, who knows. "

Flag knew that Harley and Batman had not been on good terms either, because of the Joker. "I'm...surprised you're still here.." He said, trying to push himself up in the bed. Harley adjusted the pillow for him. "I figured you would be out lookin' for Joker."

Harley gave a shrug, trying to choke down a bout of nausea. "You ..had just lost your family. You ain't got nobody. Figured I would stick around, at least until you're well enough to do whatever a Flag does when he's not working for Waller."

Flag was taken aback by that. He honestly didn't think Harley liked him much. Why would she care? It was touching.

The nausea finally became too much, causing her to excuse herself without explanation. She rushed to the bathroom, the sound of intense gagging and vomiting cutting through the peace. She returned moments later, managing a shaky smile.

"You good?" He asked, quirking a brow in concern.

"Yeah.. think I ate somethin' funky. Or, maybe my tummy is just getting used to havin' food again, you know?"

Flag was a little skeptical, doing the math in his very foggy mind based on the information she had given him before they went on their last mission. She had only returned to the prison during the outbreak in the hopes that Joker would look for her there. That had been a month. He did not know how long the two of them were separated, but maybe Harley was pregnant. He wanted to say something, but it was not his place. The last thing he wanted was to open any emotional baggage.

"Bruce obviously has doctors here. Maybe you should get it checked out?"

A small smile crept across Harley's lips. "Awww, is the tough Colonel worried about lil ol Harley?" She playfully batted her eyes. "Maybe you like me after all."

"Never said I didn't."

"You told me to shut up once, remember? I think I vexed you or somethin'...."

"...And you told me to shut up when I thanked you for savin' me from the Enchantress' slaves, so we're even. We got off to a bad start. So. Doctor. Go get checked out."

"You still like givin' orders, don't ya?"

Flag rolled his eyes. He didn't have the energy to argue with her.

"So! Whatcha' wanna do today? Go explorin' the place? I could get ya a wheelchair. Or, you wanna stare out the window? Watch movies? This place has a killer DVD collection! Oh! Sponge bath?" Harley playfully wiggled her brows.

Flag was mortified, realizing that someone had probably been tasked with that job. "Oh God..."

"Ohhh yeah, I've seen everything!" she playfully taunted. "I am a 'doctor' after all..."

[To be continued...]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyThu Nov 04, 2021 8:54 pm

Another week had passed. Flag and Harley had now been at Bruce's mall a total of three weeks. Flag was regaining his strength and had volunteered to help patrol and keep the place safe. He needed a job, a distraction. Being idle had never been his thing. The doctor had advised against him being active so soon, but bedrest was doing him no favors. His thoughts and grief were getting the best of him. He needed to have a purpose.

After being hounded by Flag for days, Harley finally got checked out by Bruce's doctor. She was not prepared for the results. Her emotions were mixed. She wanted to be excited, and part of her was, but there was so much uncertainty...

She had lied to Flag, telling him it was a stomach bug that would clear up in a few days. After awhile, she felt guilty about lying to him, but he would probably try to stop her from going out and looking for Joker if he knew the truth.

Flag was stationed out on the fence line when Harley came back from yet another checkup. The doctor had given her something to hopefully combat the nausea and heartburn. She headed back to their room, but seeing that her roommate was nowhere to be found, she went searching for him. She hated being alone, especially now. Besides, she enjoyed being around Flag...maybe she was crushing on him just a little....

It didn't take her long to find him, outside in the freezing cold. "Looks like you are having loads of fun!" She called out, knowing he preferred action over standing and watching for trouble. Maybe this was why Bruce assigned him this. Give the soldier something to do, but nothing too physically demanding for now. "Hey Harls. How did things go with the doc?"

Harley shrugged, pulling her jacket tighter around her. "Longest lasting stomach bug ever!" There was a half hearted smile. Maybe she should just tell him...

She was quiet for a moment, staring out through the fence. No zombies to be seen, maybe the snow was slowing them down. "Hey Flag? You're my friend, right?"

Flag shifted to look at her, quirking a brow at her. "I would say so.."

She smiled at him. "Well, I haven't been completely honest with you. You know how I told you I have a stomach bug?"

"You're pregnant. It's okay, Harley. I knew you would tell me when you were ready."

Harley was taken aback. How did he know?! "Are you sure you don't have psychic powers or somethin'?"

That earned a small smile from Flag. "June was pregnant after all, I know the signs."

It was a relief to have someone else know. It was heavy carrying that information around. She gently nudged him with her elbow, careful of his injuries, her small frame gradually leaning into him.

Flag felt a little awkward with her closeness, but eventually placed a comforting arm around her, earning a smile from Harley. He was so warm and smelled so good! Her eyes slid closed, savoring the moment.

"How are you feelin' about it?" He cautiously asked, not wanting to pry, but giving her the invitation to talk if that's what she wanted to do. The fact that she was out here in the cold seemed like an indication that's what she needed.

"Great! I mean, I don't think Puddin' will be too happy when I tell 'im, so maybe I'm a little nervous, but I'm gonna be a mom!" She answered, tone hinting at the joy and fears and uncertainties she was feeling.

Flag gave her a comforting squeeze. He had his own opinion of the Joker, but knew anything he had to say about the soon to be father would not be welcomed.

"Harley, I'm going to tell you somethin' and it's going to piss you off, but I'm gonna say it anyway. The Joker is scum. You could do better. You deserve better, and so does that kid." There, he said it. Part of him was bracing for her to pull away and punch him, but none of that came. Honestly, it felt good to feel like someone was looking out for her.

"I love him." She replied quietly.

"I know you do, but ask yourself this. Has he ever made you feel loved? You don't need to answer that, just something to think about."

Harley was quiet for a long moment, just enjoying the closeness and the scent of him. Joker would have never allowed her to touch him this long.

"I'm going to go look for him, Flag. I know he dumped me but, I want him to know he's gonna be a daddy. I can be a single mom, if I have to be, but I want to give him that chance, you know? I mean, who knows. Maybe, just maybe things could be better. I just want to see his face again, to know he's alive..."

Flag sighed deeply, but gave her a squeeze. He knew nothing he could say would change her mind. The Joker had her wrapped around his fingers. It was a sad situation. He could not stand the thought of her going out there alone, in her condition. What if she did find Joker and he tried to hurt her and the unborn baby?

"Okay. I'm going with you."

[To be continued... ]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn
DC
Harley Quinn

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Bruce advised Harley and Flag to stay a little longer, but Harley was determined to set out and find her abusive boyfriend. Seeing that there was no convincing them to stay, the Bat helped fortify their humvee, installing row bars to the windows and a custom bushguard that would cut through any undead that got in their way. He loaded them up with canned goods, water, firearms, and anything else they might need. After well wishes and handshakes, and a hug from Harley, the two were on their way.

Weeks turned into months. The seasons changed, as did their locations. They never settled anywhere long, choosing to keep on the move to prevent drawing any unwanted attention from the hoards.

Flag was beginning to believe it was hopeless. They had searched the city and surrounding areas a million times over with no signs of the Joker. A few of their run ins claimed to have seen the villain, but any information given always fell short. It was frustrating, though Flag was always secretly relieved when the Joker was not found. He was only here to protect Harley, he had no desire to find the man.

Harley was now at full term. Flag knew they needed to settle somewhere, at least until the baby was born, but Harley tried to convince him that they still had time, hiding the fact that she had been having contractions. She wanted Joker to be there for the birth of his son or daughter, so the search became more urgent.

They were on the road to yet another abandoned city when Harley's water broke. She was sitting in the passenger seat, her eyes went wide and she grabbed Flag's arm, nearly pulling them off the road.

"Hey, watch it! You tryin' to get us killed?"

"I just super soaker 3000ed myself... I think we're about to have a baby!"

Flag's eyes widened and he spared a glance at her. Instead of pulling over to prepare for the big event, he sped up...

"What are you doing? Pull over!"

"We need to find a doctor, Harls.."

"No, no time.." The overwhelming contraction made her scream out, her nails digging into his arm. "You're gonna have to do it!"

"That's a negative, Ghostrider!"

Flag was panicked. The only doctor he knew of was at Bruce's mall, and that was hours away. He finally pulled over and Harley painfully made her way to the back of the vehicle to lay on the sleeping bags they had been using as beds.

"You must have been having contractions before this, why didn't you say anything?!"

Harley was struggling to remove her soaked and bloody sweatpants, then her underwear. Feeling embarrassed, Flag quickly looked away. Many times they had shared a sleeping bag because Harley demanded cuddles for warmth and comfort to which he obliged, but a few times she tried to take it a little further, stating that pregnancy and hormones were making her insanely horny. Still grieving June and knowing he wasn't the one that Harley wanted, he had turned her down.

"Because I knew you would want to stop the search..." She managed between cries. "You can't deliver this baby if you don't look at me, soldier. Stop being a pussy!"

"Harley, please don't use that word right now..." He gathered his composure, finally shifting to look at her. He was all that she had, he had to do this, but it wouldn't stop him from dog cussing Joker in his mind.

After a few violent contractions, curses, screams and pushing, the little bundle was out. The baby seemed small to Flag, but at least it was crying and seemed to be healthy. After carefully cutting the umbilical, Flag cleaned up the little one.

"Congratulations, Harls. You have a son." He told her, managing a little smile as he wrapped the baby in a blanket and handed it to her. It was fortunate that Bruce had packed them some baby necessities all those months ago.

Harley took the little one with shakey arms and pressed a kiss against his forehead. Flag began trying to clean her up as best as he could.

Despite the pain, Harley was enjoying the attention. "If I knew all it took for you to touch me was to pop out a baby, I woulda done this months ago! " She teased him.

Flag's face turned red. She loved making him uncomfortable. "Harley."

"What! I'm just sayin'. Sex for comfort is not a bad thing. June would want you to be happy. And sex makes people happy. No wonder you're do uptight. And I mean, I wouldn't be cheatin' on Puddin' because he broke up with me...we're on a pause..."

How could she be talking about this right now! She had just had a baby, there was no way she was thinking about sex. "That's not who I am, Harls." He responded, covering her with a blanket. "Sex complicates things and I know you're still in love with the Joker. If we find him, if he wants you back, that's where you'll be."

Harley frowned at that, but something told her that if she wasn't looking for Joker, he would be willing to take things further. "Do you like me?"

Flag was quiet, avoiding her prying gaze as he cleaned up the carnage that came along with birth. They didn't need the smell to attract the hoards.

"Given any more thoughts to a name?"

Harley frowned. He was avoiding the question. "I wanna wait for Puddin' to help pick out a name."

Flag sighed at that. "Harls. He needs a name."

"I kinda like Jester!" She managed a small smile as she carefully hugged the little one.

Why was that name not surprising. At least she was taking a step without the Joker's approval. That was progress. "Only if you'll let me call him Jesse for short."

"Deal!"

[To be continued....]
Back to top Go down
Rick Flag
DC
Rick Flag

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 3:30 am

With a baby on board, it was time to consider a few changes. It was too dangerous to travel with a crying infant. As much as Harley disliked it, Flag convinced her they needed to find a safe place and stay put for a while. Just until Jester was old enough to travel.

Flag brought them to an old underground military bunker. It was massive. Several bedrooms, a living room, bathroom and even a pool. It had all of the comforts of home, and the best part, when Jester cried, the zombies would be unable to hear him.

The parameter above the bunker was protected by reinforced fencing, razor wire securing the top. There was plenty of room to take in more people, something that Flag wanted to do. Build their numbers, and maybe go out and help people in trouble, or clear more areas for the living to inhabit. Do some good in a world filled with bad.

The months quickly turned into years. Despite how hopeless it seemed, Harley was not willing to give up her search for the Joker. Her efforts had slowed due to motherhood and accompanying Flag on his do-gooder missions, but she would not give up.

They decided to call the bunker their home. Their headquarters. Several ex members of the X Force had joined their team, as well as 'ordinary' people.

Flag had been something of a father figure to Jester. The boy needed a male role model to look up to. When the kid was old enough to learn how to handle weapons, Flag stepped in to teach him how to handle firearms, how to shoot and hand to hand combat. The boy had a real gift and caught on quickly.

Harley had become overly attached to Flag. She wanted him, but she also wanted the Joker, too. Over the years, there had been several females that had shown an interest in Flag, but Harley was jealous. She wasn't ready to lose him. Because he needed to be there for her convenience. She always found a way to scare those 'threats' off. Their situation had become even more complicated once they started sleeping together. What was supposed to have been a drunken one time thing became a regular occurrence and fed her possessiveness over him.

Flag loved her, but he knew the moment the Joker came back into the picture, he wouldn't mean anything to her. It would be as if he never existed.

The years continued to pass by. The Squad continued their rounds, saving people in need and taking out as many of the dead as they could. Jesse was now 18 years old, dark hair and deep blue eyes made him popular with the girls his age. He was proving that he was capable of leading teams during their outings. The boy was smart, and unlike his parents, had a good head on his shoulders. Like his mom, he had a good heart.

Flag had always been honest with Jester. He loved Jesse like his own, but he never wanted to lie to him. It did not matter that Flag was not blood, he was the closest thing to a father that the boy had ever known. Jesse had found news clippings of the infamous Joker, and he had heard the stories from other squad members about how the man treated his mom. She needed to just move past him, she thought. It sounded like he wasn't much to miss.

The bunker had fallen into a peaceful quietness. Bloodsport had taken a group out to clear an area that had been overrun. Flag had just returned from a two week excursion and was enjoying some quiet time at the kitchen table, beer in hand. Harley seemingly came out of nowhere and straddled his lap, pressing a hard kiss against his lips. "I'm horny, play with me.." She flirted, hands sliding under his shirt. So much for quiet time...

Jester entered the kitchen, witnessing the two, he wrinkled his nose. "Gross. Get a room, no one wants to see that..."

Before Flag could respond to either, static came from his walkie followed by Bloodsport's voice. "Flag, we found a settlement close to the ocean. They are under attack by the screaming zombies. Requesting reinforcements if you're available..."

Harley's face lit up. A new settlement...another possibility of finding her long lost love. Her neediness forgotten, she popped up and quickly grabbed her bat. "What are we waitin' for?! Let's go!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The End Is The Beginning Is The End   The End Is The Beginning Is The End Empty

Back to top Go down

The End Is The Beginning Is The End
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rise of Heroes :: Role Playing :: Backstories-
Jump to: